Monday, February 25, 2008

cheers to the parentals

growing up, i always had a hard time understanding my parents... and agreeing with them... and getting along with them... i swore i would be different from them when i was a parent someday.

aren't our parents typically the people we say we would least want to become like?

well, over the course of 6 years of being out on my own, i've been able to take a big step back and realize how many outstanding qualities my parents have that i never appreciated. living close to them while in my years of greatest immaturity, i only saw their flaws. they were wrong, i was right, i was the one being misunderstood, they were too harsh, i knew everything, did everything right, and had everything i needed to go out and rule the world.

good thing i never tried.

my perspective has changed quite a lot. and it has helped that i have been humbled through many mistakes and confrontations with the real world.

i want to be like my dad.

he has walked one of the toughest roads and has overcome. he was in the marines, fought in the vietnam war, was a policeman in downtown denver during the night shift for 26 years, he lost my mother in a car accident which he himself barely survived. he's seen things that would cause me to have nightmares for the rest of my life. but somehow, he is sane. he is a farmer now, doing all his own work and repairs. he is strong, but his heart is tender. he has character. he's one of the most honest people i know - no impressions to make. and he's certainly not afraid to offend someone when they need some sense knocked into them... but i've seen him adore the beauty in simple things and be moved to tears by the melody of "amazing grace." yes, he may come off rough and gruff at first acquaintance, but he's really a burnt marshmallow: a little crusty on the outside, but sweet and gooey on the inside.

i want to be like my step-mother.

no, i did not appreciate her one bit when my dad first married her and long after. i made sure she knew it year after year. but a couple of Christmases ago, i apologized for the inconsiderate stubbornness of my youngin-ness and told her i truly am thankful for and admire her. she is loyal to my dad and takes care of him. she is submissive to him and follows his lead. she supports him and helps him be even more of who he is. she never complains, never bickers, never nags. she is a hard worker with a quiet strength.

ah... the things and people we take for granted when we think we are above them all.

9 comments:

Mia said...

that was sweet ! i think it took me till i was 30 before i stoped acting like a kid around my mom. but i do member a few years on my own and i saw qualities I was too immature to see before. BTW, you are a very good writer. Are you the same sara, from the goofy emails along with Cory and Trish? Its nice to meet you too, new bloging friend :)

sarah.j said...

i am the same sarah! hahaha! it's great to meet you, too!

and thank you for the compliment. :o)

pondering said...

Sarah, your post gave me hope! This coming from the one who is on the parenting teens side of things and getting extremely discouraged lately! This is encouraging to hear that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Besides that I love this post, knowing you the way I do, you made me cry again. It gave me warm fuzzies to read about your love for your dad and step mom! Thank you for sharing this!

sarah.j said...

my friend, i have no doubt that someday every one of your daughters will realize you were a hero all along.and know that i've learned a lot from watching you, by the way. :o)

Her said...

Hi, my name is Heather (aka Habeebe). I am a friend of Maria's and I thought I'd check out her link to this new blog. I have a new blog too:) It's just a baby blog. Sad little baby one. I seem to be more comfortable writing on other people's than my own. But I like Maria and she likes Trish and Trish likes you so can I be your friend? Plus, seems like everywhere I turn Compassion is there. Hmmm...A MESSAGE FROM THE LORD!?

sarah.j said...

any friend of a friend of trish's is a friend of mine!

Mia said...

hello new friend time for a new post!!

sarah.j said...

coming soon! i'm slowpants with this...

Her said...

I am slow too, Sarah. Trish just congratulated me on now having a two page blog. I seem to be able to write freely on other people's blogs but when it comes to my own I get writer's block. Baby steps for us...